Re: C Drive lower prop shaft seals for 1992 Super Maramu

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Hi Team,

The three seals are 45x65x8 double lip seals as supplied by Amel.

The bronze wearing out bushing is custom. Most prop shafts and therefore inner diameter of the bronze bushing are 40mm, mine is 35mm. The outer diameter, where the shaft seals ride, is 45mm.

The o-ring inside the bushing is generic (mine is nitrile/buna 2x35mm). Most are 40mm in diameter to match the 40mm prop shaft.

Regarding oil type, I can share what was told to me directly by Amel in November 2021:
"The recommended oil for the C-drive is 15W40 and you need 8 liters. It is not recommended to use a thicker oil on this system. It is true that there are some confusing discussions about this issue especially on the different social networks."

My C-drive is the older aluminum style unit, which is different from the one in the original photo of this thread and the majority of Amel C-drives out there (which are iron).

When in doubt, ask sav@... directly. Share photos of the parts. Be polite and say something pleasant before starting into your questions and parts requests.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
NZ

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022, 1:01 PM Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:
Michael
the wearing bushing doesnt have a part number. The seals have their dimensions around its outer face. I can get those numbers for you next time I am on the boat but if you are getting the wearing bush from Amel they will provide the correct seals

Kind Regards
Danny  SM 299 Ocean Pearl
On 22/06/2022 12:43 Michael Stuben <stuben@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Does anyone have the actual part numbers of what I need?

On my boat is a decal next to the reservoir of the C Drive.  That is labeled with SEA 85-90.  When I bought the boat a jug of GL5 gear oil was included.
I was about to research what the discrepancy is because i was also reading that some use motor oil and some seem to use gear oil.
--
Michael SM078
Currently Tahiti French Polynesia