Re: Raymarine SeaTalk to SeaTalkng systems integration

Got it. the stng is perfect for this.
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 3:33 PM Tony Elliott <tonye@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Bill, I installed none of those per se. The model number was the NGW-1-STNG which is identical to the ISO (running at 4800 baud as does the S3G) except it comes with a white Raymarine spur cable that connects to the NMEA2000 side of the unit so you can plug it directly into the Raymarine SeaTalkng backbone (white connector on any of the backbone to spur accessories (A06064, E70196, E22158 (not shown)) in the diagram I attached).

Denis, the only source of XTE, DTW and BTW that I know of comes from the chart plotter after you have programed your course into it. It sends the distance to waypoint and bearing to waypoint to the SeaTalkng bus based on the waypoints you program and the course you intend to track. If the connection fails (for whatever reason), the autopilot will simply revert back to not communicating with the chart plotter and show "NO DATA" for XTE, DTW and BTW when you attempt to use the TRACK mode on the autopilot head (ST7001). In that case you simply use the AUTO mode and auto-steer using this mode of the autopilot system until you can affect repair. I already had that mode of operation available to me but I wanted to get the chart plotter waypoint data to the course computer to fully utilize the capabilities of the SG3 and ST7001 for "hands free" navigation. If the communication path fails, I can go back to what I had before where I manually control the bearing for the autopilot in the AUTO mode, or steer manually in STANDBY mode.

Alternatively, I also have the E22158 on board which connects to a SeaTalk port of the SG3. I've already tested this configuration as well and although certain data is missing in the implementation of the E22158 NMEA2000 to NMEA0183 converter, it too effectively sends XTE, DTW and BTW data to the S3G from the SeaTalkng bus for full autopilot/chart plotter integration. You simply have to be aware that magnetic variation is not a data item sent to the S3G and so you need to manually enter that into the ST7001 as your course progresses. Quite that pain in the butt I'm told however, for me, I now have two sources of data conversion from the SeaTalkng devices (Axiom MFD); the ActiSense and the Raymarine E22158. I have redundancy, although I have been advised by Raymarine that it is probably not a good idea to have both converters (NGW-1-STNG and E22158) on the network at the same time so I keep it as a spare. It's less than half the price of the ActiSense converter and a good backup.

Hope that helps.

BTW, there are three versions of SeaTalk: SeaTalk1, SeaTalk2 and SeaTalkng (next generation). The S3G and ST7001 are SeaTalk1, the rest of the stuff on the network is SeaTalkng.

Tony
SM#443-GRAND CRU