Re: Whisker Poles needing work

Bill Kinney

Rivets are not an ideal fastener for this application, although they are quick and easy to install at the factory.  It is hard to get them really tight enough, and as a result there is movement between the parts under load, which leads to the fastens and holes becoming worn, which means it gets even worse trying to fit everything together when the rivet does fail (which they will).

We have used our poles a fair bit, and got tired of the regular repairs needed to the rivets.  I drilled and tapped the holes for appropriately sized pan head machine screws and that has held together perfectly.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Port Louis, Grenada.