Re: Fixed vs. Folding Prop

karkauai

Hi Bernd,
You will get lots of differing opinions on this.  I have a SM with no prop shaft alternator, but I have solar and a generator.  Many with a prop shaft alternator LOVE its power generation when sailing.  When I am sailing with autopilot, Nav equipment, and radar, I have to run the generator once between sunset and sunrise for 60-90minutes. Solar keeps the batteries up during the day if it's sunny enough.

I see a 15-20% improvement in engine performance and efficiency with my AutoProp compared to the fixed prop, and like the silence of a feathering prop.

If I didn't have a generator I would be tempted to add a prop shaft alternator, and/or wind generator.

Kent
SM243
Kristy

--