Re: Turkey: Update on Gray Water and Black Water Disposal Requirements

Nick Newington

I am now back in Greece; but spent the last two months in Turkey.

Fethiye Bay area is now very crowded. There are thousands of boats, many are power boats. I have to say that it is not as clean as it used to be, there is a lot of oil in the water as well as plastic and scum. The scum I believe is from the bilges.
Until now at least, nobody sends their shower water and dish water to a holding tank. Everyone uses holding tanks for sewage,  but then they empty them outside of the anchorages, maybe a mile away. They then do a pump out every two weeks which keeps the authorities happy. If one was to genuinely empty holding tanks only at pump out stations then it would mean pumping out every week or with a full boat every 2 days….the logistics make it unlikely to be enforced..
One problem is that many larger vessels run generators 24/7. This leaves a sooty oily residue.

I understand the need to tighten up….but for the moment it is not policed…of course all you need is an officious coast guard officer to be in real trouble..

Nick
S/YvAmelia
AML 55-019

On 27 Jun 2022, at 19:54, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Bernd & others,

My Opinion:
Judy and I spent 3 years in Turkey and the Agean. What is written and what you hear is seldom what is enforced and often exaggerated or misstated. Turkey was a wonderful place to visit and ranks among the very best of the 58 countries we visited on our trip around the world.

BTW, we always told the people of every country that we NEVER judge a country and its people by their leaders. I am convinced that this should be considered when considering most countries in the world, certainly my country.

Of course, you have a right to your opinion, and I hope that your opinion is based on your direct experience. The reason that I hope this is that many members of the AYOG have never visited some places. Based on what they read here, they might never visit some great places.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 11:01 AM Bernd Spanner <bernd.spanner@...> wrote:
Simple,
Türkiye (this is now the country’s official name) is of my list. I certainly do not change my boat for big bucks for  a country ran by moron Erdogan. It’s a pitty but adios Türkiye, will spent my money elsewhere
--
Bernd
SN 119 / Greece