Re: Fixed vs. Folding Prop

Giorgio Ardrizzi

Hi Bernd
I own a 42-year-old Sharki
with which I have been sailing around the world for 30 years using intensively the alternator on the shaft.  I never had a bearing or gearbox problem.  For 30 years I have been told that sooner or later something will break!
Be that as it may, I cannot imagine an ocean crossing without this charging system.

Giorgio
Saudade III - Sharki #1 - 1980
Le Marin - Martinica

Il Lun 27 Giu 2022, 20:11 Bernd Spanner <bernd.spanner@...> ha scritto:
Hi,

I would be interested in your opinion on the following.
I have a SN with the standard fixed propmfor the shaft gen. However the ideling prop goes on my nerves when sailing. Sailinf should be quite and not disturbed by this wowowowo noise. Of course you can put the gear in reverse an stop it. However you lose 0,5 to 1 kt which can make quite a difference in long stretches. And with developments in time the shaft alt might not be top of the game any more.
I consider changing to a folding prop….
Your input and opinion would be highly appreciated.
--
Bernd
SN 119 / Greece