To top lift or not to top lift?

Daniel Alexander Thompson

Hello Amelians

When i bought the Mango (1980), the mainsail topping lift was in a fixed position. It is still currently fixed. I could run a line through the boom and shackle it off to provide boom angle movement up and down. Also, the topping lift line could very easily be brought back to a clutch and winch for tensioning/release from within the cockpit.

1. Is this something i might want to consider?
2. If i did this would I need to be cautious regarding the angle of the boom vs furling the mainsail back into the mast?
3. Any other issues?

Daniel
Oronia Mango #14