Re: Northern Lights Generator wont start

Mark Erdos

 Mark,

This sounds a lot like a bad or weak battery. One thing to try: Start the engine and let it run for about 15 minutes. Be sure you are charging the 12v starter battery with the engine's 12v alternator (I have gauges on my panel to confirm - not sure if other Amels have gauges or just lights). Then, With the engine still running - try starting the generator. See if it will crank. If it does - you need a new start battery.

If  you need to replace the battery - get a more powerful one. This is a weak spot of Amel. The cable run to the alternator is longer than the engine run and some power is lost on the way. Buy a battery with the most cranking amps as possible that will fit in the same space. You can never have too many cranking amps.

Let me know how it goes. I have other options if this doesn't work for you.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

On Mon, Aug 1, 2022, 20:00 Mark Garver via groups.io <mgarver=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
The generator was running fine, was a way from the boat for a month and tried to fire up my Northern Lights generator, on the control panel no green light, and the I press the start button the Sea Fire panel makes a clicking sound a the PS1 light comes on monetarily. The main diesel has no problems, just the generator. Any one have any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark Garver
S/V Its Good
SM # 104