Re: Starlink

Franz Aman

Hi Eloi,

I have been a Starlink user for 1 year plus and can tell you that the antenna is very sensitive to obstruction even just from leaves, tree branches. I would expect the antenna needing to be on deck with a clear view to the sky. Btw Starlink only allows you to move the antenna within your continent under the RV contract. I cannot tell you if they actually enforce this part of their order agreement:

Limitation and Requirements for RV Users. Starlink for RV can only be used within the same continent as the registered shipping address. If you use Starlink for RV Services for more than two months in a country that is different than your shipping address, you will be required to move your registered address to your new location or purchase an additional Starlink to maintain Service. Starlink does not guarantee when or where Starlink for RV will be available. Starlink for RV is dependent on many factors, including obtaining the necessary regulatory approvals. You acknowledge and agree that you are solely responsible for (a) understanding and complying with all applicable laws and regulations associated with your use of Starlink for RV Services and the Kit; and (b) stopping use of the Starlink for RV Services or Kit if you are in an unsupported geographic location. You can view Starlink active coverage on the Starlink Availability Map.

The marine version now available is $10k equipment fee plus $5k per month, start/stop allowed but no pro-rating, only full months. The marine install has two antennas. Coverage here: https://api.starlink.com/public-files/maritime-coverage-map.pdf and below.

Either way Starlink is an amazing service, bandwidth and latency have exceeded my expectations after some initial teething pains due to limited satellite coverage.

Best,

Franz

On Aug 4, 2022, at 4:48 PM, Eloi Bamberg <eloi.bamberg@...> wrote:

Hello,
I just ordered a Starlink RV and try to figure out where to mount the antenna. I would prefer to mount it fix under deck. The only place I found till now is above the chart table in the middle "compartiment" (where the original radar screen was mounted). Any advise or experience would be welcome.

regards

Eloi,
SM2K 426 RedLion