From: "dgoffaux" <dgoffaux@bhkmining.com>
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] RPM on Volvo TMD22A, again...!
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:24:38 -0000

Hi Erick,

Thanks for the answer, you are right about the torque. Only, it still
seems strange to be so close to the maximum, as at maximum throttle, I
reach 2600 to 2700 rpm, and that gives a notch above 7 knots (not
exactly hull speed). Which means that I should cruise at 2000 to
2200, maximum, at maybe 6.5 knots. Does that sound right?

My previous boat had a Yanmar, somewhat faster reving, so this one
puzzles me.

Best regards,

Daniel Goffaux

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Erick MEJEAN" <maramu@h...>
wrote:

Hi Daniel

You must consider two things when you look at an engine performance.
Power output and torque. Each engine has its own power curve and torque
curve.
Both don't follow the same pattern and don't have the same meaning.
With regards to the TMD 22 it reach its peak power of 57.4 KW at
4500 RPM,
but it reach its peak torque of 162 Nm at 2400 RPM.
At 4500 RPM the torque is down to 125 Nm.
While motoring you are more interested by torque than power as
regardless of
the power you will never achieve a higher speed than the hull speed.
Running an engine at its best torque does not make it labouring the
sea as
it is the time when the engine has the more strength.
The calculation of the propeller pitch takes into account all these
factors.
Changing the propeller pitch would be a big mistake as it will make
your
prop no longer adapted to the engine,transmission and hull specs.
Propeller companies are using extremely sophysticated software to
calculate
the size and pitch of a propeller given a boat specs.
The power will only help you to maintain a higher speed while
motoring in
choppy water or against the wind but the overall efficiency of your
engine
will be lower.
You also need to consider the consumption. While running your engine
at 2500
RPM your consumption will be in the range of 7 L/h and you will
reach your
max hull speed. Running the engine at 3500 RPM will multiply your
consumption by almost two and your speed will remain the same. Which
means
basically a fuel autonomy divided by two........
What the engine does not like is to be run at the same RPM for
hours, which
never occur to a car engine. As such to prevent the turbo clogging
every
three hours you should push your engine to 3000 RPM for around 20
min to
eliminate the carbon residues. Eventhough you run your engine at
3500 RPM
for hours without changing the RPM sooner or later you may face this
turbo
clogging problem.
Hope this will answer your questions

With best regards