Re: Bonding and Grounding Checks [Re: Triatic , and use for SSB.]

The Triatic is about the correct length (a little too long) and height for VHF radio, which includes AIS. I am not aware of anyone trying this, but many Amels had a coax cable from the Triatic stay to the back of the nav station. That coax is probably OK for receiving, but maybe marginal for transmission.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Sun, Aug 7, 2022, 18:05 David Vogel <david.vogel@...> wrote:
Greetingds all,

Re: Triatic radio aerial.

I recall (but cannot find the reference at the moment, unfortunately), that the Triatic is the aerial for the reception (and transmission?) of DSC signals used by the SSB HF/MF radio.   At least, that is how SM#396 is rigged (IC-M802).

For info, the recently decommissioned Furuno FAX-30 RFax/Navtex receiver (and not to be confused with a FA-30 RX-only AIS black-box) used a stand-alone whip-aerial located on the port-quarter.

Best,

David
SM#396, Perigee
NZ

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Alex Lomakin via groups.io" <alexander.a.lomakin=btinternet.com@groups.io>
Reply to: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Monday, 8 August 2022 at 5:59 am
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Bonding and Grounding Checks

Dear all,

First of all, thanks a great bunch for a fantastic feedback, which is greatly appreciated.

As a part of my standing rigging upgrade, this winter I have ordered from ACMO a new triatic with required isolators to potentially use it as SSB antenna, when and if I decide to invest in this system.

So incidentally I was wondering whether you could also advise me and other interested parties on the best SSB radio set currently available for sale.

Thank you very much,

Alex