Re: Bonding and Grounding Checks [Re: Triatic , and use for SSB.]

Bill Kinney

David,

I am pretty sure the  802 was not yet on the market when your boat was built, so its wiring is aftermarket. Amel's original purpose for rigging the triatic as an antenna was for feeding a signal to the weatherfax receiver that was an optional feature on the Super Maramu.  With standalone weatherfaxes now pretty much obsolete, its use as a DSC signal receiver for the 802 is a good one.

But does anybody actually uses SSB DSC?

The triatic's location and configuration would make a poor choice for a primary high power send and receive antenna for an SSB.

As a VHF antennea, I'd be skeptical.  Its length would probably make it a very high gain antenna, unfortunately not focused in a useful plane.  It would broadcast and receive in a plane perpendicular to the length of the wire... pretty much straight up and down. Maybe good for communicating with satellites, but not other boats.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Port Louis, Grenada
http://www.cruisingconsulting.com