Re: Lewmar V4/V5 shaft lip seal

Nick Newington

Hi Scott,
I have done it. There is only the one circlip on the shaft if I remember correctly. Should be easy to pry it off with a small screw driver.
I found that the  shaft with keyway was tight and needed persuasion to drop out, ( heat and WD40)
I changed my seal in Gocek Turkey. Generic one cost a couple of dollars. Once you have the shaft out the seal is right there and pops out. I reassembled with plenty of grease. Wet and dry paper cleaned the calked up shaft. Now I annually inspect the shaft, dropping it easily without use of force, just a gentle tap.
I think that once it gets a bit of calcium/salt build up it gets very tight. Which is why I do the annual service.

Nick
S/Y Amelia
AML54-019
Leros

On 14 Aug 2022, at 01:19, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

Our starboard Lewmar V4/V5 windlass has started leaking mud/salt water down its shaft into the bow locker. The parts diagram shows a lip seal (Part# 66000073) and of course Lewmar will happily provide it for ~$100USD if you're willing to wait a few months.

While that's an obnoxiously high amount to pay for a lip seal, a bigger issue is that they don't have them here in Fiji, so I was hoping to find a generic lip seal locally and install it.

Has anyone done this before or have the specs? Sadly I don't have circlip pliers on hand at the moment to remove the shaft and the local kiosk doesn't sell them, so can't check myself. :)

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69