Re: LiFePo4 batteries: STERLING (with B2B charger) -vs- VITRON

Olivier Beaute

Hello Dominique,

I understand what you mean.
This also means that if one battery is out of order (or too hot) , the whole 24V panel in galley is disabled (losing nav lights and auto-pilot).
Fortunately the electric bilge pump and VHF circuits don't belong to this panel. 
But the navigation lights do. You should probably wire them separately to the 24V positive bus (nav lights, mooring light and steaming light). The autopilot shutting off may also start an alarm on your navigation systems (Chart-plotter), which will add to the confusion when it happens.

The better would be that your system shuts down only the faulty battery (but I'm not sure this is possible, according to what Scott said).
As Scott said also, the situation where one battery is close to low voltage and you're manoeuvering in a harbor with a lot of wind, using a lot the bowthruster, your system may suddenly shut off all the systems you need (including the bow-thruster and an emergency drop of the anchor with the windlass). My advice then is to always start the generator with one or two battery chargers ON, when enetring a marina, so that the voltage drop (because of the bow-thruster) is not too high.

I think the first time I will check a "home made" Lithium battery conversion, I will have to scratch my head a lot!!!

Cheers.

Olivier.

On Monday, August 15, 2022 at 10:55:36 AM GMT+2, Dominique Sery via groups.io <dominiquesery@...> wrote:

Hello Olivier,

yes, it works fine on my boat. The « cockpit controls » shut down if the Ve bms voltage is disconnected. I tried it. With the Ve-bms on, every thing works. If i disconnect the signal from the Ve-bms all the big loads are off (bow thruster , windlasses , electric winches , all the motors that needs the « command cockpit » on at the 24v panel).
i use also a battery protect 65 to drive my alternator (24 v Mastervolt)
best regards
Dominique

Mon anglais n’étant pas fameux, je vous réponds également en français pour éviter toute confusion.
Bonjour Olivier, je vous assure que ça fonctionne bien. Le Battery protect est activé par un courant 24v qui vient du Ve-bms Victron. Tous les disjoncteurs du tableau 24 v sont opérationnels. Si le Ve-bms se met en alerte de tension d’une cellule de batterie basse (ou de température) il désactive le courant qui active le BP 220, immédiatement tout le tableau 24 volts est éteint, y compris le disjoncteur « commandes cockpit » alors les gros consommateurs voient leur alimentation éteinte et ne fonctionnent plus. Je viens de refaire un essai à l’instant, le propulseur et les winchs en cours de fonctionnement s’arrêtent immédiatement dès que le BP 220 ne reçoit plus la commande du Ve-bms,
J’utilise le même système pour contrôler mon alternateur Mastervolt 24 avec un smart BP 65 qui me permet en plus d’arrêter mon alternateur avec mon téléphone (une alarme sonore sur le BMV 712 à 27,6 v 95% de charge) lors des navigations au moteur prolongées.
Amicalement à vous
Dominique

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.