Re: SM main outhaul plastic bracket material

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Hi Ryan & Kelly,

I'm not sure of the material used by Amel. Maud refered to them simply as plastic. They cost 65 euro from Amel about a year ago and should fit Bonfiglioli and Leroy Sommers (as described on the invoice). UHMWPE seems good but UV stability is an important factor. Perhaps they have a special UV stable variety or at least can supply it in black, which would be better. I'm curious how they come out from your local shop and what they cost. I grew up in Manchester, MA... Someday I'd like to sail Trilogy back to her homeport.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
NZ

On Fri, Aug 19, 2022, 4:38 AM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
I think that Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene is perfect. I wish I knew what Amel used.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Thu, Aug 18, 2022 at 10:04 AM Ryan Meador <ryan.d.meador@...> wrote:
Hi all,

We're having a local machine shop create replacements for our outhaul shaft and mounting bracket after the originals were damaged during removal.  We're unsure of what the material is for the plastic bracket (see attached photos).  The machine shop has suggested UHMWP.  Does that seem like a good choice?  Does anyone know what the original was made out of?

Thanks,

Ryan & Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Salem, MA, USA