Re: Volvo TMD 22 24v Alternator not charging #solution

Barry Connor

Hi Jose,
I think we have the same alternator and set up.
I have changed the wiring to run with a WakeSpeed controller for the new Lithium batteries. You definitely need a knowledgeable electrician to do this. I think that the Leece-Neville alternator is practically bulletproof.
The twin belts were breaking every year or so and after testing many belts I decided to fit a larger serpentine belt system which was sourced in Germany. Unfortunately it was for a car engine not for a Volvo truck engine, I have attached a video of what happened to the alloy pulley set up on the alternator after about 5 hours running.
The alternator now has a scoured and bent shaft. Now getting a new alternator (same as original) with strong steel pulley.

Barry and Penny
“SV Lady Penelope II”
Amel 54.  #17
Southern Caribbean

On 25 Aug 2022, at 08:00, JOSE PRIETO <prietomd11@...> wrote:

Dear Amelians,

Suddenly I notice that the 24 volts alternator its not charging the batteries.
Any suggestion for troubleshooting?

Cheers
--
Jose Prieto