Re: Standing Rigging replacement

Ian Fraser

Thanks for the feedback Nick. I suspect we are all in danger of overthinking this, but perhaps worth it for peace of mind. I will discuss these points and those raised by Teun on the cap shroud main mast attachment lug with my rigger.

After all is said and done, it seems the A54 rig has a good track record.

Regards,

Ian

On 12 Sep 2022, at 08:32, Nick Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

Hi Ian,

I asked ACMO about drilling out the pin holes and they said there is no need as they have specified a stronger material for the pins…..same as you.

I got a quote from ACMO a couple of years ago, and was about to order but changed my mind, when I got a reply to a specific question posed to Amel about the upgrade. Amel said it was not necessary. They were very clear, they said that the calculations have been checked and the original specs were fine… I did explain that I had renewed all the rigging in 2017 when I bought the boat but like for like.

So I don’t know what to think. I have been keeping an eye..

As for upgrading the mizzen to 8mm; why?

Kind regards

Nick Newington

Amelia

Back in the water in Lakki town Leros

On 12 Sep 2022, at 15:17, Ian Fraser <keyproperties@...> wrote:

Thanks Scott.

Under advice from Bill we got the upgrades to the main intermediates and lowers. Can’t remember hearing about the mizzen D1 upgrade from 7-8mm, so we ended up with the 7mm, but we will keep an eye on them. It does look like the triatic “Marocain" has been upgraded from 7-8mm also.

We got the recommended upgraded turnbuckles, which are described on the invoice as “Stainless Steel Ringued Bronze Turnbuckle”. Are these what you call "stainless sleeved”?

Interesting to hear that you needed to drill the old tangs to fit the pins on the new 12mm eye. I had asked ACMO if we would need to drill chainplates and they indicated that they had sized the pins to avoid this but will be interested to see when we do it!

Plan to use one of the riggers in Antigua……any hints on what to look out for?

Ian
A54#009

On 11 Sep 2022, at 18:51, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

We used the old ones. You have an earlier model (like us), so you will need to upgrade your lower shrouds on the main mast from 10mm to 12mm. This will require drilling out the old tangs as the pin that goes through the eye for the 12mm is a bit larger than the one for 10mm.

You will also need to upgrade your main mast intermediates from 8mm to 10mm.

This is what Amel did for the later A54s due to one sister ship losing its rig off in the South Pacific.

If you are planning extensive sailing (aka circumnavigation), I would highly recommend also changing your mizzen D1 from 7mm to 8mm.

Finally, whatever you do, get the stainless sleeved turnbuckles. There have been some issues with the chrome plating for a few owners.

Who is doing your rigging?

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69