From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Nick Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington@...>
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2022 3:46:16 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Anti syphon for bilge pump

When I bought Amelia in 2017 she had a Rule bilge pump. The original was stored under a bunk.

I decided to install a vented loop on the discharge line seeing as the Rule pumps do not gave check valves and the chance of syphoning sea water in when on starboard tack seamed very high.

Fast forward to 2022. I have decided to put the original Diaphragm pump back as the Rule has its power cable submerged, it also had a splice in the section of submerged cable. Not good…

It is now installed. I have left in the vented loop, between the pump and the discharge, high up just under cockpit floor.

My question is;
Why did Amel not put in a vented loop?
Presumably because it is not necessary due to the check valves in the diaphragm pump.
Should I take out the vented loop now? Is there any advantage to run the pump without a vented loop anti syphon device?

Nick
Amelia
Anchored Kamares bay south Kos
AML54-019