Re: [Amel] Heads seacock on SM2K

johnabo2003 <no_reply@...>

I would also like to replace the forward head holding tank drain pipe and service the seacock. Can the seacock and down pipe be safely removed whilst the boat is in the water. In other words is the thread for the seacock above the waterline?

Does anybody know the thread size and material of the seacock so that I can order a spare in advance of going to the boat?

John
SM 394

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "BM2"<bluemarinemartin@...> wrote:

Bonjour John,

I will try to do it that way as soon as I can get a new valve, hoping that mine will come out as easily as yours...dismounting is very often far more difficult than installing a new gear.

Best wishes

Yves

BM2
bluemarinemartin@...
2010-04-13
----- Message reçu -----
De : Anne and John Hollamby
À : amelyachtowners
Date : 2010-04-13, 10:33:55
Sujet : Re: Re: [Amel] Heads seacock on SM2K

Hello Yves,
I think I understand ! But you have to unscew the whole valve complete and replace it with a new one.
That is what I did a few years ago. It was pretty easy once I got the hose off. The central part of the valve is not removable so far as I know so the whole unit has to be sent to be recycled if you want to get full brownie points.

Best wishes, John, SM 319
----- Original Message -----
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 9:48 AM
Subject: Re: Re: [Amel] Heads seacock on SM2K

Bonjour Anne and John,

And thank you for your help.

I am not so strong but the shaft has very little material: OD 9 mm threaded, a hole inside of 3 mm. and a cut of 1.5 mm each side for the handle leaving only a maximum of 3 working mm of material where it broke.

I usually wash the tank, while closed, with fresh water and vinegar from the vent on deck...but it nevertheless happened to break !!

I understand how to remove the hose, but...

The problem I am facing is to remove (unscrew) the valve without breaking the seacock.

How can I seize the seacock to avoid distroying it while removing the valve itself ??
The seacock seems to be moulded in the plastic of the hull, without any thing beyond the moulding inside the boat in order to block it, , while unscewing the valve . A bit difficult to explain clearly with my limited English, but I hope you can grasp the point !!

Many Thanks and best wishes to both of you

Yves

BM2
bluemarinemartin@...
2010-04-13
----- Message reçu -----
De : Anne and John Hollamby
À : amelyachtowners
Date : 2010-04-12, 10:13:14
Sujet : Re: [Amel] Heads seacock on SM2K

Dear Yves and Marie Christine,
The same valve seized up years ago on my boat and I had to replace it even though I was not so strong as to be able to break the shaft. To replace the valve remove the shelf and the plastic pipe from the holding tank. You will find that it is best to make a vertical slash in it where it is stuck onto the tank and the valve with a razor knife. You will then be able to remove the damaged valve and fit a new one using proper sanitary hose.
It was not my favourite job especially as one inevitably gets on intimate terms with the WC pan !
I suppose that whilst the tube is open you should feel the inside to see whether you should do a descaling job as described by S/V Bebe in the archives.

Best wishes from Anne and John

----- Original Message -----
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Sunday, April 11, 2010 10:30 PM
Subject: [Amel] Heads seacock on SM2K

Hello everybody,

I have a problem with the fore heads valve because I closed it for a very short time and when I wanted to reopen it, the handle shaft broke with the valve closed...although I operate it from time to time.

Fortunately, with a lot of efforts, I managed to open it with a Ezy-out left turn screw extractor.

Now I have to change it....without damaging the seacock., which does not seem to be easy !!

Although I cannot immagine I am the first one with this problem, I could not find a word about it on the forum, even with the search fuction, John,

Has anyone faced this problem?

All advices welcome

Regards

Yves

BM2
bluemarinemartin@...
2009-12-11

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.