Re: Jacklines

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Rob,
I have two sets. Both webbing. The first runs from the cleat on top of the windlass down both sides over all sheets etc to the big stern cleats either side.
The second one goes, again from the cleat on the windlass down the center of the boat either side of the mast to the ring on the deck in front of the windscreen.
I concur with you that to go overboard tethered with the boat doing my average of 8 knots would be lethal. Particularly if the off watch is asleep. .
Reality, to have a practical way of tethering that will prevent you falling over in any circumstance when WORKING on deck is in practical terms all but impossible. Dual tethers help, one short, one long.
I have a few  cast iron rules off shore based on this truth.
Tethered or not, go overboard and you are dead unless you are very lucky
Whatever the weather if you leave the cabin you are harnessed and tethered always even sitting in the cockpit.
Never leave the cockpit without attaching the tether to the jack lines first.   Never go on deck at night unless the off watch crew is roused and has sight of you. Day or night off watch crew should be aware every time you go on deck.
If some one goes overboard, tethered or not, Stop the boat as fast as you can, Swing head to wind
Kind regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 11/10/2022 11:49 Rob Andrews <robsclan@...> wrote:

Hey Team.

I would like some feedback from members who have installed jacklines to their Amel. We intend to fit some to Jaygo and have high quality webbing for the job. (Reason for webbing: Strong. No roll hazard. Some stretch to absorb shock loads.  UV protected).

Ideally I want the configuration to prevent clipped on crew from going over the side in the first place, not just retaining them tethered to the boat after going over. This reasoning is the result of personal experience in foul weather as well as that of a friend who was washed overboard in a Sydney/Hobart race and almost drowned while being hauled back onto the boat. As Dee and I almost always sail just as a couple, I acknowledge that one person trying to help the other back on board in really foul weather weather would be nigh on impossible.

What ideas do you have on where to run and affix the lines?
--
Rob & Dee
SV Jaygo.