Re: Voltage between the +24 and the bonding.

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Nick, as a casual follower of this thread I thankyou for that reminder. Carbon build up from brushes wear is a real issue. The windlass motor is a hard working unit but tends to be out of sight, out of mind. As do the primary electric cockpit winches, and the headsail motor for that matter. A good area for pre major voyage preventative maintenance on our 20 + yr boats
Kind Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 25/10/2022 00:31 Nick Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

I recommend you check for carbon build up between windlass commutator and case as well as the Bowthruster motor commutator and case.
I had the Masse indicator light up some time ago on the +ve side. I went through the whole boat, checking everything. Eventually it was carbon build up in the windlass motor… problem solved.
Nick
Amelia AML54-019
Turkey

On 24 Oct 2022, at 12:32, karkauai via groups.io <karkauai@...> wrote:

Hi Eric,
I don't have one of those Masse monitors, so I don't know exactly how they work. Thie following could all be nothing more than mental masturbation

Pretty frustrating...I spent weeks looking for a similar problem after the electrolysis of my prop shaft, and was never able to resolve it completely.  The hull potential is normal and my zincs  erode slowly and equally, lasting at least a year.The electrical engineer I worked with was baffled, and concluded It must be a static voltage. Does it light a test bulb?

The bow thruster on Kristy is connected directly to the batteries, without a breaker. A connection to bonding anywhere along that cable would give you voltage on the bonding circuit.

On any 24V equipment, a + to bonding connection between the batteries and the breaker would do the same.

Taking all the + cables off the battery switch should stop the voltage. Then you could add them back one at a time until you see that voltage again, and trace that cable to where ever it goes.

Hope you find it

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY