Re: Raymarine Autopilot Computer Error & Ladybug New Owners

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi all, some years ago in French Polynesia I had similar problems. The techs after long and arduous investigations told me the fault was in the course computer so I dropped the pick and ordered a new unit. In the two week wait I took the advice of a 12 year Cruiser and checked the electrical connection to the 12 volt clutch. He was right and the techs wrong. I found some corroded connections, fixed them. Done. Sme 7 or 8 years later, same again. Again bad connections.
Worth a look perhaps. I guess with the continuous on and off of current to the clutch as course corrections are made these connections are subject to forces not experienced with other equipment.
Kind Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 29/11/2022 04:48 NZDT Richard Dallett <dallettrichard@...> wrote:

The connection from the computer to the auto pilot is to the clutch and not the motor.  Check with Bill Rouse, but the way I understood him, the computer should be set to 12 volt, not 24, as the clutch runs on 12 volt though the motor is 24. Indeed, when I had my pilot rebuilt by Raymarine it came back with 2 wires labelled 12 volt and 2 wires labelled 24.

Richard Dallett
A54/68 Mamba
dallettrichard@...