Re: [Amel] Amel 54 with a hardtop Bimini

Bill, There is a much cheaper solution--just raise the height of the three stainless bars that hold up your present bimini by 10cm, 10cm and 25cm ( aft to forward) and 1. You can stand up ( I can , at 6 ft) PLUS 2.You can add a vinyl window right across the front which unzips at the top and rolls up neatly, both for ventilation and to allow you to stand at the wheel with your head outside for better visibility for berthing, etc.PLUS3. The vinyl window allows you to see your sails and improves visibility forward from the cockpit to an extraordinary degree PLUS4. You can sit on the aft coachroof and see forward ( as in every other Amel ever built other than the SM)
The top of the bimini will now be very close to the mainsheet. This is no problem as soon as you unfurl the main as it lifts the boom well clear. Judicious adjustment of the topping lift clears the main sheet when the sail is furled. We made these adjustments two years ago and I can't tell you how much they improve the ownership of an SM. No more cricked necks!
Cheers, Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Hamble

To: amelyachtowners@...
From: yahoogroups@...
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 01:14:40 +0000
Subject: [Amel] Amel 54 with a hardtop Bimini

OK, every morning I get up and repeat 3 times, "I will not buy a 54, I love my SM." And we both love our SM and try to keep it in new condition.

I just noticed a 54 for sale on yachtworld that has a custom built fiberglass bimini cover with 2 sliding hatches and lots of handrails. Apparently it can be raised about 6" for extra standing room and ventilation and lowered to seal the cockpit from water. It also has a custom vinyl enclosure to close the back side...really cool..."I will not buy a 54...I will not buy a 54..."

I hate to advertise for yachtworld, but you might want to look at this at http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=2157543&checked_boats=2157543&ybw=&units=Feet¤cy=USD&access=Public&listing_id=50289&url=

Best,

Bill
s/v BeBe, SM2, #387
Currently Malaysia