Re: [Amel] Amel 54 with a hardtop Bimini

Judy, I forgot to take my camera down with me but the dimensions we used for the Better Bimini are these1. From the forward side of the attachment point on the mast ( to which the bimini tensioner is attached) to the aft side of the aft S/S tube--69cm2.Height from the cockpit sole to the underside of the aft S/S tube--184cm.Similar height under the other two.Heights taken on the centre line of the cockpit3.Distance from the aft side of the aft S/S tube to the aft side of the middle s/s tube--65cm4.Distance from the aft side of the middle s/s tube to the aft side of the forward s/s tube--47 cm5 The forward tube ends up leaning just forward of vertical.
We chose to have a vinyl window as the front panel, between the forward tube and the hard dodger,right across the bimini, with a full zip at the top, allowing us to roll the window up and cover it using the same cover and same turnbuckles as the original bimini.When you stand at the wheel you can put your head through the window space.You will need new, bigger ( higher) side curtains. You will also need to add a horizontal strip onto your drop curtain at the aft end of the bimini. We had a cheap and cheerful canvas job done by an inexperienced guy in Brazil who used ordinary Subrella. It was strong enough for the South Atlantic and a season in and around the Beagle Channel but his handiwork left something to be desired so we had the bimini redone by Veronique at Caraibes Covering in Guadeloupe using that Subrella which is Subrella on the outside but with an impermeable coating on the inside.Its full name was Bainbridge International Seamark, Oyster colour on the outside with a light beige on the inside which is quite soothing in bright sunlight. I don't know how tall you and Bill are but , beautiful though the 54 is, in terms of headroom under the bimini,I rather think that we might now just have the edge ...We wouldn't be without it. Fair winds, Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Hamble

To: amelyachtowners@...
From: yahoogroups@...
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 01:14:40 +0000
Subject: [Amel] Amel 54 with a hardtop Bimini

OK, every morning I get up and repeat 3 times, "I will not buy a 54, I love my SM." And we both love our SM and try to keep it in new condition.

I just noticed a 54 for sale on yachtworld that has a custom built fiberglass bimini cover with 2 sliding hatches and lots of handrails. Apparently it can be raised about 6" for extra standing room and ventilation and lowered to seal the cockpit from water. It also has a custom vinyl enclosure to close the back side...really cool..."I will not buy a 54...I will not buy a 54..."

I hate to advertise for yachtworld, but you might want to look at this at http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=2157543&checked_boats=2157543&ybw=&units=Feet¤cy=USD&access=Public&listing_id=50289&url=

Best,

Bill
s/v BeBe, SM2, #387
Currently Malaysia