From: "Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe" <yahoogroups@...>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 03:57:47
To: <amelyachtowners@...>
Subject: [Amel] Re: Amel 54 with a hardtop Bimini

Dave -- Funds are not the only reason he will not be buying a 54. While I like many of the new features of the 54, I will never own a boat with a centerline bed. I know....everyone is supposed to love having the bed in the middle of the room rather than having to climb over your partner; but I cannot tolerate a centerline berth. We have been in too many rolly anchorages. Having a lee board against my back in rolly anchorages and also in most sea conditions underway is just not good enough for me. I want my back firmly planted against the hull under those conditions. So, no matter how much Bill likes the new 54, unless he is ready to also shop for a new wife, he won't be buying one.

Judy
S/V BeBe
SM2 #387

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Dave_Benjamin" <dave_benjamin@...> wrote:

Why fight the urge? Depending on what currency your funds are kept in a newer Amel might become somewhat more affordable. Jean and I were invited aboard a 54 in Cabo last year and were quite impressed. I think the factory did a marvelous job finding areas to improve on the well proven SM.

We will be sticking with our Maramu for some years but as fortunes change.....who knows?

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe" <yahoogroups@> wrote:

OK, every morning I get up and repeat 3 times, "I will not buy a 54, I love my SM." And we both love our SM and try to keep it in new condition.

I just noticed a 54 for sale on yachtworld that has a custom built fiberglass bimini cover with 2 sliding hatches and lots of handrails. Apparently it can be raised about 6" for extra standing room and ventilation and lowered to seal the cockpit from water. It also has a custom vinyl enclosure to close the back side...really cool..."I will not buy a 54...I will not buy a 54..."

I hate to advertise for yachtworld, but you might want to look at this at http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=2157543&checked_boats=2157543&ybw=&units=Feet¤cy=USD&access=Public&listing_id=50289&url=

Best,

Bill
s/v BeBe, SM2, #387
Currently Malaysia