Re: [Amel] AIS

Richard, It has to be a Brit sport--noone in the colonies would be clever ( or devious) enough to invent a pitch of 22 yards. Cheers, Ian

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
From: richard03801@yahoo.com
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 09:45:03 +0000
Subject: Re: [Amel] AIS

Hey thanks you're the first to answer that question I've asked it many times to many a sailor including a good number of old salt Captains.
What's a pitch is that from American baseball or some foolish Brit so called sport with folks dressed for church and a fly swatter of a "bat".
All the best mates.
Richard SM 209
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

From: richard03801@yahoo.com
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 16:10:33 +0000

We fully agree the only way to get a ships response is to call the by have your position course and speed in front of you. Say your intentions clearly and slowly. In many miles at sea we've found this works well. In fact if you listen in on the bridge to bridge chatter they do the same.

We use a stand alone AIS that works well and give us a stable display and a single antenna with a spliter. Add an Icom digital VHF with a full feature mike at the helm as well as chart plotter radar. Now that we have AIS we can use the radar pause feature to save battery power. We cycle the radar every 20 min. Unless we have weather or targets on screen.
Does anyone know how far a cable is????

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T