Re: [Amel] Re: Maramu Galley Sink Drain Question

The solution we have used on all three Amels we have owned--Sharki, Maramu and SM--was passed on to us 20 years ago by a very particular Swiss lady owner. Where the pipes from the galley and forward shower enter the sump we added stainless tubes about 3 inches long. This enables us to put the foot of a nylon stocking over these pipes and the nylon acts as a very fine sieve, catching everything except water. This helps hugely in keeping the smell of the bilge down though we still give the bilge a good clean out with a hose every so often. Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 Hamble .

To: amelyachtowners@...
From: yahoogroups@...
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 12:22:43 +0000
Subject: [Amel] Re: Maramu Galley Sink Drain Question

I spent some time in the "large and very nice yacht" business. With that point of view, what Amel does with gray water is quite normal unless you have the option of a treatment system. Another point of view favorable to the Amel system for gray water is minimizing the number of thru-hulls.

Frankly, I have great admiration for the approach that Amel has taken with gray water and tell myself this over-and-over every time I clean the sump to freshen things up...this helps my point of view.

Anyway, my two cents.

Best,

Bill
s/v BeBe, SM2k, #387