Re: Mounting of AIS GPS ANTENNA

Eric,

You will loose a lot of distance with VHF by mounting it low.

Our AIS receiver which currently shares the AM/FM antenna on the main mast. The AM/FM antenna on SM #387 is identical to the VHF antenna. I used a BNC "T" to split the antenna wire for the radio and the AIS receiver. I have noticed no problems with either the radio or the AIS receiver. This will not work for a AIS transponder, but, I am considering buying a small antenna for the radio, placing it inside the radio drawer. This will leave the AM/FM antenna exclusively for the AIS transponder.

On SM #387, the triadic stay is rigged with insulators and the coax cable from the stay terminates in a coil behind the radio/Hydra drawer. I think it is too long for proper VHF (300mhtz = 1.6 feet of antenna for one-half of the signal's total wavelength), but possibly could be used to receive AM/FM, freeing up the Main Mast AM/FM antenna for your transponder.

Let me know what you do.

Best,

Bill
s/v BeBe, SM2k, #387
currently Malaysia

--- In amelyachtowners@..., kimberlite <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi,
I just changed out my AIS receive only for a AIS Transceiver.
We are receiving ships up to 120 miles away.
However I am wondering where I can mount the GPS antenna on my Amel Super
Maramu #376 Kimberlite.

One side of the stern rail has the HF antenna the other the ships GPS.
The mizzen top has the navtex antenna, a seeme transponder and the AIS
receive antenna.

Any Ideas as to where to mount the antenna.
Fair Winds Eric
Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite