[Amel] Re: Mounting of AIS GPS ANTENNA

Eric & Richard,

VHF is line of sight and rarely bounces. Mounting at the top of the main mast gives you around 10 miles further reach than mounting on a rail. The "range gained" formula is: 1.17 times the square root of the additional height in feet = additional range in nautical miles. The horizon while standing on the deck is 3.5 miles...from the top of the mast it is 10 miles.

If you want to maximize being seen and seeing others, go up.

GPS does not need height and will work OK under a dodger.

Bill
s/v BeBe, SM2k, #387

--- In amelyachtowners@..., kimberlite <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Richard,

The antenna does not work under the dodger---my Garmin handheld does ---I
guess the acr unit is not as good. My thought of mounting it on the port
rail is that I fear interference with the Raymarine GPS antenna already
mounted there.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite