Re: [Amel] Mounting of AIS GPS ANTENNA

Melbourne <melbourne@...>

A good GPS antenna is tolerant of moderate obstructions. I installed
my AIS GPS antenna behind the nav station against the hull on the
small shelf back there. It works OK, and its data stream has an
error rate that appears to be no different than the error rate on my
regular nav GPS antenna, which is mounted on the deck rail at the stern.
William Melbourne
S/V Third Wish
SMM # 306
++++++++++

On Jun 27, 2010, at 8:19 PM, kimberlite wrote:

Bill,

I already have the antenna mounted on the top of the mizzen. Coming
home
this week from St Marti to NY I received targets over 120 miles
away from a
640 foot tanker. Remember that out in the ocean most of the Ais
traffic if
from big ships with high antennas. It has worked with two different
AIS
receivers very well for 3 years. That IS NOT my problem. I need a
place to
mount the

AIS GPS antenna.

Fair Winds