Genset Cooling Circuit Airlock

Ian Shepherd

Can anyone please help resolve a problem that I have had for several months now which is driving me nuts.

Whenever I take my SM2000 sailing, even in smoth water, the genset will not run afterwards due to an air lock in the sea water cooling circuit. The only way to solve the problem is to remove the impeller inlet hose and bleed the air out before starting else it will shut down after a few seconds running.

Examination of the raw water strainer shows that after sailing the water level is below the T-off for the genset cooling water. I have checked the strainer cap for a good seal, checked all hoses for leaks, blown the pipes through with a hose, checked the swan neck anti syphon tube, and everything looks good, but the problem persists. This has only started to happen after seven years of use. The impeller is brand new.

Has anyone had a similar problem and if so, how did you resolve it please?

Ian Shepherd SM414 Crusader