Re: Genset Cooling Circuit Airlock

Ian,

It is possible that you may have a small "air Leak" in the stainless steel pipe that runs from the left side, back side of the genset, under the engine to the hose that connects to the salt water pump on the genset.

This pipe had a small manufacturing defect in it on SM 387. It casued air to enter when running and leaked a small amount of water when the genset was off. If you have any signs of salt accumulation in the pan under the engine, this might be your culprit.

This happend to us and one other SM that I am aware of.

Best,

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387
Currently Malaysia

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "sv_freespirit" <sv_freespirit@...> wrote:

Can anyone please help resolve a problem that I have had for several months now which is driving me nuts.

Whenever I take my SM2000 sailing, even in smoth water, the genset will not run afterwards due to an air lock in the sea water cooling circuit. The only way to solve the problem is to remove the impeller inlet hose and bleed the air out before starting else it will shut down after a few seconds running.

Examination of the raw water strainer shows that after sailing the water level is below the T-off for the genset cooling water. I have checked the strainer cap for a good seal, checked all hoses for leaks, blown the pipes through with a hose, checked the swan neck anti syphon tube, and everything looks good, but the problem persists. This has only started to happen after seven years of use. The impeller is brand new.

Has anyone had a similar problem and if so, how did you resolve it please?

Ian Shepherd SM414 Crusader