Re: Replacing Standing Rigging

Craig Briggs

Hi Kent,

Glad the info is helpful - good luck with the project.

Here's a couple of afterthoughts: most important is to absolutely take this opportunity to open your jib furler gear box and thoroughly maintain it - replace all the seals plus bearings, especially if there's any sign of water ingress.

Caspar and Vito were recently talking here (on the DB) about grease leaking on the deck from the furler gearbox (it's probably not the grease inside the furler extrusion) - that's not normal and imho is the clarion call that you're overdue to open up the unit and fix it. Btw, these are all stock parts from mechanical suppliers so no need to go to the factory. Same thing for the outhaul and main furling gear boxes - may as well stick new brushes in the motors too, and burnish the commutators.

Second, and another good suggestion from Joel, is if you going to take the masts down for the re-rigging, that's a good time to repaint them if they need it, plus refresh wiring and light fixtures and replace the UV damaged nylon washers all over.

And, no, we ended up not keeping anything for spares - we did cut open one of the swages and confirmed that they had a scary amount of corrosion in them, plus the inner strands of the cables were really rusty. Made us feel better about the need for the job, if nothing else. If I were inclined to carry spare rigging, it'd be interesting to look into Hi-tech rope, like the maxi's use, though terminations are tough, I understand.

Cheers, Craig

--- In amelyachtowners@..., Kent Robertson <karkauai@...> wrote:

Hi, Craig,
Great, and I do mean GREAT info.....
So do you carry anything in the way of rigging spares with you now?