[Amel] Re: "Popeye" & Questions

karkauai

Hi, Bill,
I'm researching the LED switch. In talking to a number of other led companies, I'm not finding anything about using a "power converter". When I read about them online it looks like they are designed to keep the voltage from going too LOW when the engine starter is used. Reading your post sounds like it's something to keep the voltage from going too high when charging. I have already had two AquaSignal 24v tricolor/anchor lites fail, the second one after putting a "surge protector" between the battery bank and the lite.

Please tell me if I'm understanding this wrong, and tell me what kind of "Power Conditioners" you put between your batteries and cabin lites.
Thanks,

Kent, Kind of In the Dark
S/V Kristy
SM243

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "svbebe" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

-Richard,

LEDOnline recommends using a power conditioner for 24 volt systems. Did you do this? About 2 years ago I bought some LED mast lights (tricolor and anchor) from LEDonline. They cost about $50 each and lasted about 1 year. I am assuming because of what they say on their website:

"Despite the advances we've made with driving LED's properly at 12vDC we still experience some problems on charging 24vDC systems. This is due to the voltage range of the drivers we use in our bulbs. LEDs are current "driven" and not voltage "driven."
The maximum range achievable right now for quality small current based drivers is 30 vDC. Using 12v DC, voltages can reach as high as 15.5v. This is only half the rated voltage of the 8~30vDC driver.
When we use 24v however - charging voltages can reach 28.8v or even higher if the regulator on the 24v system is not set properly.
This is so very close to the maximum operating voltage of our drivers that we can experience failures sometimes. For that reason we now recommend using a power conditioner on 24v lighting systems."

Best,

Bill
s/v Bebe, SM2, #387
Currently Mackay Australia