Volvo turbo on SM

Me again. We have the standard Volvo, 78 hp governed to 60, on Pen Azen, SM 302.Now 10 years old. Very happy with it. Still putting out full power after about 2,500 hrs. Last winter I found that the spring loaded lever which controls the turbo was stuck in the closed position. The Volvo guy had a look at it and told me just to douse it with WD 40 , leave it for a few days and then detach the lever from the little vertical stub which had become immobile and gradually work the stub free with a wrench. This I did, but when I came to reattach the lever to the stub I had to pull the lever out from its round housing containing the spring in order to reattach it to the stub. Having thus reattached the lever, the position of the stub ( although the stub is now free)will no longer allow the lever to reenter the spring housing to the extent that it used to. To me, this means that the little door within the turbo is now permanently ajar.When I raised this with the Volvo mechanic he said it was of no concern.It would only be of concern if the door was permanently closed.However, we do seem to have a dirtier exhaust since. I would be interested if anyone could tell me1.Is there a problem with the fact that the lever no longer goes back into the spring housing to the extent that it used to?2. If so what should I do about it---probably strip down the turbo and see what is preventing it.3. Is there a connexion between the turbo door being ajar ( as I assume it must now be) and a dirtier exhaust?
Thanks, Ian and Judy, Pen azen, SM 302, Plockton

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/