From: Ian & Judy Jenkins <ianjudyjenkins@...>
To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Wed, July 7, 2010 12:03:04 PM
Subject: [Amel] Raising the waterline on an SM

Hi y'all, Over the years we have lost count of the number of times
we have cleaned our water line, the white line between the antifouling and the
orange strip and indeed the orange strip itself aft of the cockpit as Pen Azen,
in common with many SMs , always seems to be slightly down at the stern. Last
August, when we applied Coppercoat, we decided to be bold and apply the
Coppercoat right up to the top of the orange strip and to add a new blue strip
above that, leaving a white strip between the Coppercoat and the blue. We were
not certain how the raised waterline would look but having done it we are
delighted.No longer does the white strip need cleaning and the raised waterline
makes the hull look just a little bit sleeker. When you do clean and polish the
topsides there is a smaller area to clean and, when still in the water, little
risk of getting your rag wet.We can recommend it.
And what of the Coppercoat? We applied it last August and from then until mid
June this year Pen Azen did not leave her marina berth at Swanwick on the
Hamble river in southern England. The marina is in a very muddy river and
ordinarily we would have expected fouling and barnacles.This time when I dived
to check the hull ( 14 degrees C .....) there were no barnacles but there was a
layer of slime, thicker higher up, very little below 50cm or so. It came off
easily with a wipe of a scratchy kitchen sponge and from the experience of
others I would not expect to have to wipe the hull again while we are using the
boat.For those that don't haul their boat it seems that an annual wipe usually
suffices. For those that do, a pressure wash on hauling does the trick. I will
report in about 6 months time to see how things proceed.
Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 Plockton , Scotland( at anchor with a F9
forecast,an improvement on the F10 of two days ago but with the same rain....)