Re: [Amel] Autohelm ST7000 Autopilot

Jim Koulias <jk@...>

We had a similar problem with a different brand (Australian made) autopilot. At first I attributed the problem solely to the autopilot or perhaps the gyrocompass. We eventually discovered that the cause was micro interruptions to our main house power supply due to loose/faulty connections at that master switch. We weren't able to identify the cause until the problem became so bad that it started affecting other DC items - such as lighting etc. In fact all the other electronic navigation devices were still were able to function despite these short interruptions in power (including the laptop chart system - because of the inbuilt battery backup). The autopilot however would just get "lost" off track and the boat would go off course.

Jim Koulias
Sydney
Australia

On 21/10/2010, at 10:26 PM, sy_baracca wrote:

We have started having a problem with the original Autohelm ST7000 autopilot fitted to our 1991 Santorin. When sailing along it will just stop working without any warning until such time as it veers sufficiently off course to trigger the OFF COURSE warning. Hitting Standby and turning the boat back onto the original course and then pressing Auto will restore it for a time before the problem returns an hour or so later. No other error messages come up on the display.

I know this is an old unit but we would like to keep it in good working order as a backup to our recently installed Raymarine X30 Smartpilot which incidently we are very pleased with.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

Maurice & Heather
SY Baracca
New Zealand