Re: Downwind Sailing

Craig Briggs

Hi Kent,

The Jockey Poles most definitely should not be parallel to the water. If you look closely at the stubby cylindrical socket with the retaining pin that's welded onto the mast and into which your jockey pole goes, you'll see that it is angled slightly downward.

The Jockey Pole must be aligned with that socket and, therefore, will take that same slight downward angle from the mast to the "boomerang" (which seems a good name for the support rail and ring assembly clamped to the shrouds).

You can easily visually judge when the Jockey Pole is "square" with the socket (not the mast) and that defines the right height that the "boomerang" needs to be. The Jockey Pole most definitely won't be "parallel to the water line" nor "straight out from the mast" - it will be perfectly in-line with it's socket and, thus, will angle slightly down as it goes out to the shrouds.

The "boomerang" should fit nicely at this height - whack it around a bit with your fist at the front and back until it "settles in". The upper shroud and the intermediate may have to be spread apart just a bit to get the "U" bolts on (you should tension the rig before clamping down the "Boomerang").

Cheers,
Craig Briggs, s/v Sangaris in Greece, Santorin #68

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Kent Robertson" <karkauai@...> wrote:

supports on the shrouds that support the jockey poles...looks too low by about 6 inches. If I raise the support ...to be straight out from the socket in the mast, it looks like it would pull the shrouds together. ... I think I am right in assuming that the jockey pole should be parallel to the water line???

Kent
SM243
KRISTY