From: "Kent Robertson" <karkauai@...>
To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2010 10:29:48 AM
Subject: Re: [Amel] Maramu rigging

It is significantly more expensive to replace the standing rigging with metric wire and fittings if you are in the US.  I understand it's not the case if you are in Europe or elsewhere.  If you switch to US standard sizes, there will be some issues with fittings that are attached to the boat.  I opted to use metric sized cables in spite of the added cost because I thought it might detract from resale value if I switched to US sizes.  I had a little pitting and rust at the entry points of the cables into the swages, and cut two of the swages lengthwise to look at the cables within...there was significant deterioration of the cables and I was glad I'd decided to change the rigging even though I was told I could probably get another year or two out of the originals.

Good luck.
Kent
SM243
KRISTY