Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sails

Ian Shepherd <g4ljf@...>

Stephan,

I had a new genoa made by a friend of Joel Potter's in Fort Lauderdale. It has a foam luff and in general it was a well made sail and at a good price. The sail maker's name is Peter Grimm and his email is peter@... It cost $217 to DHL it to St Lucia.

Unfortunately due to a change in circumstances, I never got to sail with the new genoa, but I did ensure that it fitted OK. It is now a spare on my new SM which I take delivery of on July 15th.

Joel tells me that Peter is very familiar with Amel sails and that he has made a good number of them for US owners.

As a matter of interest, how old are your sails and how many miles have they done? I changed my genoa after 17,000 nms of hard sailing, much of which was in the tropics. I did have the leech tape repaired a couple of times, but eventually due to UV and wear, the rear panels became too weak and the lower cross tree fitting proved to be too much for the material when the genoa accidentally backed one day. I have noticed that the latest SM's now have a different end fitting which looks kinder to the genoa. I would like to see then covered in leather too.

Good luck with the new sails.

Ian Shepherd

SM 414 "Crusader"