Re: [Amel] SM 24v Bilge Pump

john martin <symoondog@...>

Kent, As you travel around the world you will find that a machine shop is your best friend. They can fix anything and they can make anything. Take the broken piece to them, they will fix it in a few minutes. When We were in Brazil, I couldn't get my propane tanks filled because the fill fittings they had didn't match my tank. I borrowed one of their fittings and took it along with my tank to a machine shop. He made me a beautiful brass fitting to connect the two together. $50.00. You will find it cheaper to have a machine shop make you an engine part rather then wait in a foreign port and having to pay duty, customs, etc.
In Cuba they can't buy parts for their 1000's of old 50's model cars and trucks, but they all look and drive like new, thanks to the machine shops. John "Moon Dog" SM248

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
From: karkauai@yahoo.com
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 17:43:38 +0000
Subject: [Amel] SM 24v Bilge Pump

Hi again, all,
I just got back on Kristy to do some prep for the trip south and discovered that the bilge pump isn't working. The flapper valves on the intake and output sides of the pump were attached to the inside of the pump head by screws that have rusted completely off, making it impossible to replace with new ones. I think I will need to get a new head for the pump but there are no identifying marks on the pump except "PAM" printed on a sticker on the pump head. I believe this is a Sandvik pump, but cant find it searching the web. Can anyone tell me what brand and model pump it should be on SM243? Has anyone replaced this pump with another brand and if so how much of a problem was it to mount in the engine room? Has anyone had the same problem with this pump and do you have suggestions for how to repair it?

Thanks as always for your replies.
Kenthey had t
SM243
KRISTY