Shore Power Cables

karkauai

I have recently had an electrical survey done on KRISTY (SM243). There were two issues that the ABYC electrician found that concerned him. First and most important to him is the size of both the 220v 50A and the 110v 30A the shore line cables. He says that the wires are warm to touch, and particularly the 110A cable when the cabin heaters and a few cabin lites are on. He understands the difference between US and European 220, and says it's more important when you are using US 220 since it's really two 110 lines instead of one 220 line. I'm sure that Amel has researched this thoroughly, and I have never heard of an Amel catching fire due to shore power connections, so I'm inclined to trust the boat as wire

He is also concerned about the number of wires connected together at a number of places on the boat and feels they should be on busses with no more than 2-3 wires connected to each post.

I wonder if insurance companies based in the US require insured vessels to follow ABYC standards to be covered. I wonder what you all have to say about these recommendations? If I'm going to follow them it's going to cost a lot and needs to be started right away to be finished in time for my passage south.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Kent
SM243
KRISTY