From: Richard Piller <richard03801@...>
Subject: Re: [Amel] Re: Shore Power Cables
To:
amelyachtowners@...
Date: Wednesday, November 10, 2010, 9:58 PM

Kent, we did away with the "Amel plug in solution") we installed an 1800 Watt

inverter working off the 24 volt batteries and ran a wire from the inverter to

the 110 volt box. We took out the 110 volt power supply coil that by the way is

always hot. Changed the battery charger to a 90 to 260 volt, 80 amp 50/60 cycle

charger. Kept the same input wire. This modification allows us to plug in

anyplace in the world without worry. We just need the correct plug ends for all

those different counties/harbors. It made life much easier traveling the

world. We can plug in 110 stuff when we need it without having to go into the

engine room and we can use 220 for some things like our coffee maker, toaster

and vac. And yes the washer needs to have gen set running.

good luck.

Richard on SM 209 it's for sale.

________________________________

From: sv Sangaris <sangaris@...>

Subject: [Amel] Re: Shore Power Cables

To: amelyachtowners@...

Date: Wednesday, November 10, 2010, 12:34 PM

Hey Kent,

Sailing south you won't need the heaters - problem solved :-)

I'd guess the 110v feed is an add-on by the former US owner of Kristy, not

original Amel, correct? What wattage are you drawing on your heaters - many are

in the 1800w range. Sounds like you've got more than one - two would present

3600w which at 120v gives you the 30A limit of your cable - no wonder it's hot!

If you need the heaters until you go south, can you run a separate additional

110 line out to the dock for one of the heaters? ... or get a 220v heater?

Seems you really needn't rip into the Amel wiring at all.

Cheers,

Craig