From: Chris Smither <yachtakwaaba@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amel] Re: Wind Generator on an AMEL 54
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, 15, November, 2010, 12:57 PM

Hi Danny & Yvonne,
   What happened to the marvellous Amel shaft alternator system.......on my Santorin, it provided about 60% of our power needs crossing the Atlantic, (light winds - slow crossing), but on the Pacific crossing it supplied all the power to keep the batteries fully charged.  You lose about 1/2 Kt boat speed, but the security was worth it!
Where we are now, (in Phuket, geriatric day sailing), it is a terrific booster to bring the batteries up quickly after a night at anchor.
   If Amel have stopped fitting them, I'm sorry but I consider it a backwards step, which is unusual for Amel.
  Is there anyway one could be fitted, or does the new gearbox on the Amel's not allow the prop to rotate under sail?

Mike & Chris
Santorin, Akwaaba
Phuket

From: erickmejean <maramu@hotmail.com>

Subject: [Amel] Re: Wind Generator on an AMEL 54

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com

Date: Sunday, 14, November, 2010, 7:11 PM

Hi Anthony

I did install an Aerogen 400 on top of my SM mizzen. It has bee there for ten years now and it works. However I wont do it again as I found it useless... It brings very little power, once in a while when conditions are optimum, it is noisy and if one of the blade becomes unbalanced the vibrations travels all the way down the mizzen mast. You have to check regularly the silent blocks as sun, salt, heat and rubber don't get along well.

In my opinion the SM or the 54 are too much energy consumer boats to expect covering the energy consumption with solar panels or wind generator . You will never cover your needs fully. When conditions are good it will save you half an hour of power generator a day at most? It is not worth the trouble. Unless you cut down your electrical consumption drastically, no electronic, no autopilot no fridge, no music, no entertainment, nothing in fact (which is purposely not the right way to enjoy a SM or a 54) it does not bring enough benefit.

Erick

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, xygakis <no_reply@...> wrote:

I would like to install a six kilo Air Breeze wind generator on top of the mizzen mast.
Is there anyone who has already made such an installation and who could give me all details about the necessary support post of this installation?
With thanks in advance
Anthony