Re: Re : [Amel] Amel yearly upkeep cost

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Hello Kent, this is really reasonable insurance.  I have own boats for the last 6 years, but no sailboat.  US waters will be fine for the first 4 years.  My problem is that I live near Houston, TX… so in Hurricane area.  But could you please forward me the insurance company you are using.  Thanks in advance, sincerely, Alexandre 713-412-6704

--- On Wed, 11/17/10, Kent Robertson <karkauai@...> wrote:

From: Kent Robertson <karkauai@...>
Subject: Re: Re : [Amel] Amel yearly upkeep cost
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 12:19 PM

On insurance, Alex, I am spending $3600 per year as a new owner of SM243, never having owned a sailboat before.  I am limited to sailing in and around US and Canadian waters, all of the Caribbean and S America except the waters of Cuba, Haiti, and the Domican Republic.  I have to be north of GA/FL border or south of Grenada during the hurricane season.  It will cost more when I do a transoceanic voyage, but by that time I  should have enough experience to allow for lower rate.
Kent

From: Serge Tremblay <laetitiaii@...>
Subject: Re : [Amel] Amel yearly upkeep cost
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 12:48 AM

Hi,

Maintenance cost vary from year to year but 10% of the value does represent a
fair amount for my 1985 Mango. I do a lot of the work, but depending of where
the boat is, competent help is sometimes difficult to find or parts are more or
less expensive.

While in Spain in 2006, I found that Transatlantic Diesel in the US offered the
best price for spare pumps for my Perkins main engine and this included
transportation fee by Fed Ex. However the Fed Ex delivery person did not find
the boat in the marina where I had been for 3 months and simply returned the
parts to the US, charging return fee to the sender. I had to repay again twice
the transportation fee to get the parts that I had already paid...  the cost for
the parts became horrendous!

This year I have to replace the Onan Genset as well as most of my standing
rigging. As an experienced sailor I have assured that the rigging has been
closely inspected and replaced where it was needed. However the surveyor and a
professional rigger refuse to give any certification for rigging 10 year old or
more, and the insurer which accept coverage for my boat in Martinique during
hurricane season refuses to cover the boat unless the rigging is changed by one
that can be certified. On the other hand the experienced rigger
consulted advised me that the Nirvana (Swiss) rigging used on my boat is the
best - but Nirvana engraved a serial no and the date of manufacture on every
part...

Meanwhile, it is not uncommon for riggers in the Caribeans to use cheap China
made parts and wire to replace riggings...

I have owned saiboats for the last 45 years, sailed a bit and, in my opinion,
Amel boats have a lower maintenance cost than comparable vessels with similar
equipment. The hull, the rigging, the main engine, the liquid circuits, the
electrical wiring and electronic components are not only first quality from the
outset, but usually the installation is sturdy and practical.

On the other hand, if the request by Alexandre is made because he fears
maintenance fees are a serious concern. I would suggest that he should then be
concerned by the size of the model of Amel chosen and the level of
sophistication of the boat.

SM or Mango and Maramu were built as reliable world cruisers handled by a couple
of young retiree. For most sailors, the boat builders industrie has determined
that the boat will sail about 15 days per year... and after docking my boat in
le Vieux Port of Marseille for 2 months, I beleive that 15 days of sailing is
highly exagerated for local boatowner. So if maintenance costs are an issue, a
owner should first be determining what is his intended use of the boat.

My Mango has more than 220gal of fuel capacity in two reservoirs. This is not
only useless for sunday sailors but also for those who can access fuel on a
days' notice, it is however most conforting in ocean crossings and South Pacific
island cuising.

Finally, with due respect for Alexandre to whom this comment is not directed,
one could recall the harsh comment made by a Rolls Royce car saleman who was
asked about the fuel cost for the car by a prospective client: Its too expensive
for you!

Serge,      V&#92;  Opera    Mango#51