From: Dave_Benjamin <dave_benjamin@...>
Subject: [Amel] Re: Amel yearly upkeep cost
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Friday, November 19, 2010, 9:12 PM

Alexandre,

I think costs will vary widely depending on location, type of use, and how well the boat has been updated and maintained.

From my limited experience of a little over two years of Maramu ownership I can say that most Amels will be less costly to maintain than other cruising boats. The boat is far better designed than many. This means that a project that could take days on another boat might be done in hours on the Amel. For instance if I had to remove our fuel tank I could get it out rather quickly without taking furniture apart the way you have to on other boats. I replaced our batteries in a few hours. Engine maintenance is a lot easier than on boats with the engine stuffed under the companionway. The exterior is low maintenance with no teak to speak of other than the cockpit.

It is always far more cost effective to purchase a boat that has been well cared for and perhaps had an extensive refit than to buy something that is more of a project.

Whichever Amel you choose I predict you will be quite happy with the boat.

Regards,

Dave Benjamin
Maramu #29

--- In amelyachtowners@..., Alexandre Uster von Baar <uster@...> wrote:

I am seriously interested in purchasing an Amel. The SM cost is above my current budget but I am not discarding it, I am considering Maramu, Santorin and even Mango. Would that be possible to get some feedback on the average yearly up keep/ maintenance (once the sailboat is in absolute ready to cruise condition). A French web site mentions 3500 € ($4,900) per year on an SM, this seems a bit low. I am not looking for insurance nor marina fees, just the maintenance/upkeep costs such as hoses, filters, bearings, bushings, seals, etc.
Thanks in advance. Sincerely, Alexandre