From: Ian & Judy Jenkins [mailto:ianjudyjenkins@...]
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 1:36 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Volvo Turbos

I have SM 302 with the Volvo/Perkins TMD22p. No complaints after 800
hours,
other than replacing the key switch and the engine hour meter and rev
counter, both at crazy Volvo prices.Power output is fine and I take care
open up the revs every few hours to ensure the Turbo is properly
exercised.
When the revs are high and the turbo is really being used there is a
pressure control valve that opens up if the turbo pressure gets too
high.As
I understand it the rod attached to this valve moves back against the
resistance of a spring.I have been advised to move this rod back manually
from time to time ( with engine switched off) to ensure that it is free
moving and it has always been free when I have moved it.
However, when I use full revs there is no discernible movement on this rod
(
possibly 1/2 mm but it's difficult to guage when the engine is flat
out).It
has been suggested to me that as Amel govern the output to 60hp the turbo
pressure doesnt reach the point where the valve opens.( this wouldn't
prevent the turbo from working ok as mine seems to be)
Has anyone any experience to suggest that the rod should or should not be
seen to move at full revs, and if it does move is this a momentary and
occasional movement or should the the valve be seen to stay open above
certain revs?
Ian Jenkins

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor