Re: [Amel] main halyard problem

Richard03801 <richard03801@...>

Pat before you CUT thread a tracer of string to the halyard remove the line at the base of the main to relive some of the pressure on the main.
If you can not get to the areA below the knot attach the tracer at the point at which it is attached to the head of the sail. You may have a better shot to attached the tracer later.
Now see if you can pull the main UP to allow the halyard back over the shive

With any luck the Amel installed tracer is still available to assist you if you need it.

If you want some help I'm here in Annapolis
Good luck
Regards
Richard Piller sm209 For Sale in Annapolis

On Nov 29, 2010, at 8:44, "Patrick McAneny" <sailw32@...> wrote:

I tried to drop my main and it would not drop.I applied downward pull on the tack to the point I was afraid I might damage the sail.It became apparent it was stuck at the top of mast.I went to the top and I could not see but it felt as though there was two sections of the halyard going over the top of the sheave.I think that I did not have the downhaul short enough and the sail low enough an when I tensioned the halyard the knot or sliced pulled over the sheave and through the plates on the sides that hold the sheave and now will not came back through.I think Iam going to have to cut the halyard at the sheave to drop the sail and drop the halyard and rerun it.Two questions,Does the halyard ran inside a conduit that a knot or splice would hang up on?I would not think there would be ,but wanted to check before I cut.I do not know what you call the car/swivel that the head of the main is attached to,but how is the halyard attached, a splice?
Thanks,Pat SM123