Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Volvo Turbos

Dear Joel, Thanks for your advice. That's good to know, because they don't put these things in the Volvo manuals.Thanks also for the tip on the cam belt.By the time we have done 1000 hours we expect to be in Southern Chile--not a Volvo agent in sight there, but if it's of any comfort to anyone else , Volvo do a workshop manual in Spanish and if I find a good mechanic down there I'll post the news as I'm sure everyone will be in a rush to join us....it's only about 3,000 miles up wind and Humbolt current from our present berth in Ecuador...
All the best, Ian

From: "Joel F. Potter" <jfpottercys@...>
To: <amelyachtowners@...>
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Volvo Turbos
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 02:29:08 -0400

Hello Ian,

Joel Potter here. The turbo boost pop-off valve really needs A LOT of
requested power to function. To check:

1. Go about 3-4 KTS in reverse
2. Gently go to neutral, then forward to idle speed.
3. Wait 3 seconds then wide open throttle in forward. WIDE OPEN.

You will see the rod move ever so briefly. The engine is governed and you
will never get into the boost limit in cruise power conditions. Only when
asking for more than you should, like at avoiding a crash. Hope this helps.

All the best,
Joel F. Potter, Hull #400

P.S. Change your cam belt every 1000 hours. Trust me, this is important.