From: Jay Jones <selector6501@...>
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Volvo Turbos
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 05:13:39 -0700 (PDT)

Mr Jenkins
I can not add enough weight to what Joel said about
the Cam Belt, so let me relate a story.
We run 6 generators with this type of motor, all of
them failed from 1050 hours-1370 hours due to cam
belt
failure(change of service contract long story). the
least damage done was one generator simply bent all
the valve stems so we got away with simply
replacing
all the valves. One engine was a total loss and 2
required complete rebuilds, the other 2 were
somewhere
in between.
Admittedly these engines have been runnining
against
the stops for their whole lives because they were
right sized for a smaller project however do you
really want a cam belt failure when you are
desperately seeking all the revs you can get.
It could be worth your while to throw away the 300
hours or so and replace the belt before you go, if
there is the slightest possibility you will exceed
the
1000 hours.
By the way now that we know about the cam belt
sensitivity we have not had another problem with
these
motors and they are going on 7 years old.

Jay P Jones
--- Ian & Judy Jenkins <ianjudyjenkins@...>
wrote:
Dear Joel, Thanks for your advice. That's
good to
know, because they
don't put these things in the Volvo
manuals.Thanks
also for the tip on the
cam belt.By the time we have done 1000 hours we
expect to be in Southern
Chile--not a Volvo agent in sight there, but if
it's
of any comfort to
anyone else , Volvo do a workshop manual in
Spanish
and if I find a good
mechanic down there I'll post the news as I'm
sure
everyone will be in a
rush to join us....it's only about 3,000 miles
up
wind and Humbolt current
from our present berth in Ecuador...
All the best, Ian

From: "Joel F. Potter" <jfpottercys@...>
To: <amelyachtowners@...>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 02:29:08 -0400

Hello Ian,

Joel Potter here. The turbo boost pop-off
valve
really needs A LOT of
requested power to function. To check:

1. Go about 3-4 KTS in reverse
2. Gently go to neutral, then forward to
idle
speed.
3. Wait 3 seconds then wide open throttle
in
forward. WIDE OPEN.

You will see the rod move ever so briefly. The
engine is governed and you
will never get into the boost limit in cruise
power
conditions. Only when
asking for more than you should, like at
avoiding a
crash. Hope this
helps.

All the best,
Joel F. Potter, Hull #400

P.S. Change your cam belt every 1000 hours.
Trust
me, this is important.